14 October 2008

Parachuting Spiders

Walking might be hazardous to your health. You may turn into a mummy.

Yesterday we took our dog,
Freda, for her afternoon walk. It was a pleasant day with a slight breeze. Thousands of young spiders were parachuting in the air. Below you can see the silken parachutes that have wrapped around a sign post.



A brief film of the silk blowing in the wind.



If one remained outdoors long enough on such a day, would one become wrapped like a cocoon? Do I have enough time to find out? Help me Boris.


∆±

2 comments:

Pippa said...

hey James

You competing with me in the number of blogs stakes? ! :D

Kate

(And thanks for you kind comments on my revamped one, although not finished yet - and I wish I was a stringer for Reuters)

Charlie said...

It's amazing how fast those little web spinners can work!
- Anne